SAVE THE DATE
This course will be held again on
October 21 - 23, 2020.
Information contained in this site is for the 2019 program.
Information for the 2020 program not yet available.
Comprehensive Education and Skills Development for an Integrated Model of Care
Mind body approaches such as meditation, yoga, tai chi, cognitive skills, lifestyle interventions and positive psychology now boast an impressive evidence base to support their ability to improve—and in some cases, prevent—stress-related illnesses, ranging from asthma to hypertension, functional bowel diseases and pain syndromes.
Whether you are a physician, nurse, psychologist, social worker or therapist, mind body techniques provide you with evidence-based ways to enhance patient care and clinical outcomes.
The Herbert Benson, MD Course in Mind Body Medicine is a comprehensive education program where you learn how to incorporate these skills into your practice. It teaches:
- The latest data on stress, stress management, and resilience enhancement, and their impacts on patient health and treatment options
- The mind body approaches that form the foundation of modern self-care
- When, where and how you can employ mind body approaches to enhance patient care
- Practical skills to guide your patients in the use of self-care techniques
In addition to clinical approaches and integrative models of care, this program provides:
- Education on genomics, transcriptomics, metabolomics and how to leverage recent advances in the neuroimaging of contemplative states
- Opportunities for certification
HOW TO BEGIN OR ADVANCE YOUR USE OF MIND BODY MEDICINE
For those who are new to mind body medicine, this program provides comprehensive education to begin using integrated models of care within your practice. For those who have experience in these methods, this program provides updates and workshops to take your skills to the next level.
CUSTOMIZE YOUR LEARNING EXPERIENCE
All participants can customize their learning experience. The program offers 52 skills development sessions, focused presentations and interactive workshops. You can choose the ones that align with your specific goals and clinical interests.
This program is taught by leading practitioners and experts in the field of mind body medicine—including Dr. Daniel Goleman and Ms. Sharon Salzberg, who are both pioneers in the scientific and practical research of self-care interventions.
About Herbert Benson, MD
Dr. Benson is the Director Emeritus of the Benson-Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine and Mind Body Distinguished Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School. He is the author or co-author of more than 180 scientific publications and twelve books.
Dr. Benson is a pioneer in mind body medicine, one of the first Western physicians to bring spirituality and healing into medicine. In his 40+ year career, he has defined the relaxation response and continues to contribute to research into its efficacy in counteracting the harmful effects of stress. Dr. Benson’s work extends from the laboratory to the clinic to Asian field expeditions and serves as a bridge between medicine and religion, East and West, mind and body, and belief and science.
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Define the body’s response to stress, known as allostasis and allostatic load, and the role it plays in the development or exacerbation of medical conditions
- Recognize how modifiable lifestyle behaviors synchronized to circadian rhythm build resiliency
- Enrich the patient-provider relationship to affect patient outcomes
- Develop skills in a variety of meditation methods that elicit the relaxation response
- Evaluate the epidemiology of provider burnout and its consequences
- Summarize up-to-date, meditation-induced brain imaging changes
- Develop strategies to lower your risk of provider burnout
- Enhance functional expression of empathy to improve clinical performance and personal resiliency
- Apply mind body interventions in the treatment of multiple disease symptomatology
- Assess the influence of gut health and diet on mood
- Improve your ability to motivate patients towards sustainable behavior change
- Deliver a more effective, integrative model of care
- Use newfound skills and tools to improve patient outcomes
- Identify modifiable risk factors for brain health
- Explain the mind body science of depression
- Acquire skill in state-of-the-art cognitive behavioral therapies applied to children, adolescents and young adults with a range of emotional and behavioral problems
- Identify the components of the Benson-Henry Care Model
- Support healthcare change designed to reduce the prevalence of non-communicable diseases
- Define the underlying influences of happiness
- Experience a variety of healing modalities
- Review novel behavioral health interventions designed to influence brain health
- Interpret the signs of cognitive decline and depression as a guide towards prevention